Monday, April 12, 2010

20 Questions: Nicola Lionfish Interview (Stars on the Rise Feature)

Aight so you see this young woman, with curly hair, great skin and a slender figure many aspiring models would envy, Conscious Reggae singer is not necessarily the first thing that comes to mind. Don't? But that is what she is. Nicola Lionfish is an artist that I admire so much and I am thrilled to have her on The Lime in our special feature on Stars on the Rise. She is dedicated, focused and naturally blessed with a powerful voice and countenacne. Read on my people, read on...you know you wanna:-)


1. What does success mean to you?
Success to me is touching the hearts of many. There is no monetary means that could ever replace the feeling of making a difference in someones life by uplifting them through music. To know that my music video and tunes have circulated the globe and brought about awareness is a great success in my opinion. To be recognized as a hard working artist, yes that too falls under the category of success to me.

2. What do you want to achieve in your field?
I wish to reach my next goal which was to always travel and perform on the stage. At some point further down in my career I would like to run my own studio and help other up and coming artist move forward.

3. What is the greatest sacrifice you have made so far in your career?
Everyday is a sacrifice. Each dollar that I earn goes towards my music as i have no sponsors and manage myself. I sacrifice all of my time for my music. My music comes first, there are some who may not ovastand that but it is what it is. However with everything I do, I do try to find a balance.


4. Though you already have a loyal following, do you ever fear that you won’t make it big?
I never fear that I could not buss or not make it big. Music is what I love and live for. Whether I make it further in the business or not I will always sing for those who want to hear. I will always love music so to me there is no loss either way; because it will always carry on.


5. What makes you stand out in your field?
My humbleness...the truth....feeling and being a grounded woman.


6. What is the best piece of advice you have been given and who was it from?
It would be from two people.One is an engineer I worked with in the past. He once asked me what is perfection? He said, if you make a tune perfect then it loses its character and depth. I never forgot that and applied it ever since. And the other person would be Everton Blender. He has been a great encouragement throughout my career.

7. What advice do you have for anyone trying to make it in your field?
My advice to other artists would be to stay focused. If music is what you love, take the rocky road. Anything that comes too fast or too easy is not good. If it takes long you are on the right path. Always be willing to learn. Only a fool knows everything and even the greatest of singers have to practice and better what they are already great at. Also, there are times where you feel discouraged like you have given all that you can. Stay positive and remember that if you doubt the Father, then why should he have faith in you. Have faith in yourself.

Click HERE to listen to her music and read her answers to our 20 Questions!