Monday, January 10, 2011

It's Britney Spears' "Hold It Against Me"

Britney Spears' "Hold It Against Me" has leaked a day ahead of its official release date, and as was evident from the demo that surfaced last week, it's a highly Euro-influenced dance-pop jam that, musically, is minimalist on the verses, leaving the payoff to be delivered by the chorus.

It's kind of the same tactic that was taken with "Womanizer" off Circus, and sadly I'm not really feeling the second coming of Jesus Christ with this one. That said, I'm sure "Hold It Against Me" will fly up the iTunes chart once it's added around midnight tonight and then debut at #1 on the Hot 100 next week.



Don't get me wrong—I think Weaveney herself delivers on the song. But given that Max Martin and Dr. Luke are in charge of her whole album, I expected a bit more in the way of melodic fireworks. Guess I'll play it 47 times in a row until I force myself to love it (for a week).

Like Britney sings in the middle eight here, "Give me something good!"